Part of the fun of being creative is having the opportunity to play with some old favorites, but in a new way. Faber-Castell Aquarelle Watercolor Pencils have long been a favorite of mine and I was thrilled when we picked up this set of 12 colors. Here’s an easy way to create fun stationery or note cards with just a rubber stamp, ink pad, Aquash Water Brush and these colored pencils. The five quick steps below will show you how to make any ordinary image a bit more like magic.
1. Ink Your Stamp: Select a rubber stamp with some open space for fill in opportunities and room for things to flow outside the lines! This little Dandelion Rubber Stamp is one of my favorites. Ink up your stamp with Black Color Box Inkpad.
2. Create Your Stamp Impression: Stamp your design in a repeat pattern along the bottom of a card. I’m using our new paper bag note card. Remember you can stamp off the edge onto scrap paper for more layering. Heat set your image with a heat embosser to prevent the ink from bleeding too much.
3. Add Color with Pencils: Choose your pencil colors and fill in selected areas of the stamped design. Consider blending the pencil colors dry for a really lovely effect once it is wet.
4. Prepare Your Water Brush Pen: Fill the water brush pen with plain tap water and give it a slight squeeze to wet the brush tip – you’re now ready to begin blending.
5. Blend Your Colors: Using the wet bush tip, blend areas where you want to see a watercolor effect. If you used two different color pencils the water brush will blend the colors together. If you want a clean crisp color you may want to wipe the brush tip before blending. You don’t need much water (I added a bit more than needed for the purpose of the photo.) You can also blot very lightly to remove pooling water, but keep in mind it might remove some of your color.
Viola! Pretty stationery sure to be a keeper for years to come by your recipient!